Saturday, June 19, 2010

Africa!!!



I am here! Safe, sound, jet lagged and smiling.

First, I will say how much I love Boeing 777s. They are air planes with two aisles and nine foot ceilings! They give you socks, a toothbrush and very stlyish headphones. They are amazing. I also rediscovered my love for airline food. No really, I loved it. AND they had on demand movies!! Last time I remember flying I watch The Little Mermaid over, and over, and over....and over.

We (my dad, Abby and Connie Elder) arrived at Jomo Kenyatta airport last night around 9pm Kenya time. ALL eight pieces of luggage made it!! I walked with our driver to the vans and Abby and Connie strolled behind. I turned to see that they were still behind us and remembered that I had completely forgotten to tell them about the airport "porters". They had been swarmed by men grabbing their bags left and right to carry them to the van. O brother. Nothing I could do about it now. They caught up with me and Faraji (our driver) and told me that they wanted 20usd each. I laughed and said no!! I gave one of them the only 50 shillings I had ( about 75 cents ). We all jumped in the van and drove away. Welcome to Kenya.

It is good to be here! Everything seems smaller than I remember it - but I guess that is the way the world works as one grows bigger. I am with my Dad right now at the AIM International guesthouse. All the workers here remember me as the one who ate all the icecream. It is an odd feeling to come back to something. Nothing has changed, but everything has changed. I feel like I never left, and that I have been gone forever.

Keep us in your prayers!!! We fly to Sudan Monday morning!

much Love,
allie

2 comments:

  1. i'm so excited for you and what you're doing this summer! p.s. i'm jealous you get to go back to africa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hows the braids treating you?

    ReplyDelete